AURA QUE is not just about the finished products; its about the fair trade producers and their families that I work directly with, the constant challenges working in Nepal, as well as all the people I meet on my travels....

18 May 2010

Visit to Tannery in India

On my road trip from Delhi to Kathmandu, I visited the tannery that produces buffalo leather for AURA QUE's leather collection. I have visited many tanneries in various parts of India over the last few years, and am pleased to be working this well established tannery. They have a strong social responsibility policy and work to European regulations for Health & Safety and their treatment process, which I have seen first hand during my visits.

From Autumn/Winter 2010, AURA QUE will be working with leather made from high grade buffalo hides, that is a by-product of the local food industry. To create the colours and finish required, the tanning process uses some chemicals and waxes which are processed through the tannery's primary and secondary effluent treatment plants that extracts, contains and reuses any chemicals, and purifies water to be used for irrigation.

The tannery process the leather from raw hide to finished product. Once the raw leather hide has been processed, the leather is dyed in a large drum, dried, wax added, and then tumbled by a milling process to soften it.

I think its important to know how my materials are made, and having seen the whole tanning process from start to finish, its definately not for the faint hearted! But personally, I really think it is a necessary industry - realistically when is the world going to stop eating meat? Surely it is important to use all by-products to minimise waste?