AURA QUE is not just about the finished products; its about the fair trade producers and their families that I work directly with, the constant challenges working in Nepal, as well as all the people I meet on my travels....

22 August 2010

To Bhaktapur to visit Lokta Paper producer and get a face lift (of sorts)

It was great to have a quick trip out the city the other day - a friend took me on a motorbike to Bhaktapur - half an hour east of Kathmandu. It is the third largest city in Kathmandu valley and is listed as a World Heritage site by UNESCO for its rich culture, temples, and wood, metal and stone artwork. Its such a beautiful place - all narrow streets, temples and statues, and busy with everyday life.

I had to go collect some paper products from Aparna and Ram, who run the Peacock Shop, making traditional lokta paper cards, books and gifts.  The traditional Nepalese handmade Lokta paper, known for its durability and special texture, is made from Lokta bark (only the outer bark is collected to ensure the preservation of the trees).  It is produced by a traditional technique, the bark is boiled and the soft pulp spread evenly in a wooden frame in water, and finally sun dried.

Here is Aparna with the press machine used to print onto the lokta paper. And the picture above is me trying out one of the handpainted traditional masks that they also produce - good look for me aye?

Late afternoon is the best time to go to Bhaktapur I reckon - at dusk, you can sit at watch all the locals milling around the temples and statues - great atmosphere.  Though I wasnt keen on the dark motorbike ride back, avoiding the potholes in the rain - just my luck! Worth it though!

Posted via email from AURA QUE