AURA QUE is not just about the finished products; its about the fair trade producers and their families that I work directly with, the constant challenges working in Nepal, as well as all the people I meet on my travels....

16 January 2012

Celebrating the turn of the lunar calendar...here's to warmer weather in Nepal!!

So there was another Nepalese Festival today - I was totally unaware of it until I arrived at the factory.  Some places have a day off so that must have been why the roads were so quiet on my cycle to work!

In the morning, Man Bahadur presented me with the lump of what looked like tree root, stained purple, with hair root bits coming out of it and a thin bark-like skin. Not very appealing!  He said it was eaten on this 'auspicious day' and I had to peel it and eat all of it. No way out of that then!! Hope I don't get sick from it but it tasted like potato, not that bad!

[[posterous-content:pid___0]]

Then I got MORE at lunchtime from Shanti!!

[[posterous-content:pid___1]]

It is always hard to find out the meaning of these many different festivals, I vaguely understood that it marked an important point in the lunar calendar (which Nepal follows, hence the year is now 2068....!). I was also told that people tend to start new projects after this time, as it marks a change in season.

So after a bit of internet research i found out this:

 

"Maghe Sankranti is one of the important festivals in the country, especially the Tharu community in Nepal and is a time of family reunion and celebration.

The festival is mostly marked by Nepali Hindus by taking ritual bath in confluence of rivers and offering worships in various temples, and eating special delicacies like chaku (hardened molasses), til ko laddu (sesame sweets) and tarul (yam).

The members of the Tharu community observe this festival as Maghi by organizing traditional dances, consuming various delicacies and displaying traditional costumes.

This day or the day of Maghe Sankranti is regarded as the coldest day of the year and marks the start of warmer season.  According to the religious facts and beliefs, the sun is believed to leave its southernmost position and begin its northward journey.

The people of Magar, Chhantyal and Tharu communities celebrate the festival as Maghi, marking the beginning of a new year with this day."

http://news.xinhuanet.com

Note: the Tharu communities are mainly from the Terai and the southern region of Nepal. 

 

Phew! so I hope this means that it gets warmer in Nepal - after 6 weeks here over the coldest season, without central heating, I am now cold to the core!! Looking forward to sunnier weather in 2012!

Posted via email from AURA QUE