AURA QUE is not just about the finished products; its about the fair trade producers and their families that I work directly with, the constant challenges working in Nepal, as well as all the people I meet on my travels....

7 January 2012

Gingerbread house in the factory

So after the Christmas Day church service with Surya Kala, as I was away from home, and had the day off, my friend and I set about constructing and decorating a gingerbread house that my family had given me.....ok, a bit of a random activity but it felt very festive (with Home Alone on HBO in the background!).

After I finished my masterpiece, i didnt know what to do with all that gingerbread, icing and candy, so I took it into the NLT leather factory between christmas and new year (as I was managing the AURA QUE production whilst their production manager was away to visit his family in the village of Gorkha). And no, i didn't cycle to the factory that day, with the house balanced on the back, I took a taxi....

Xmasgingerbread_blog1

So all the guys in the factory seemed amused at what i had brought it, and it took me a while to explain during the 11 o'clock tea break, that i wanted them to 'destroy' the house, and eat it.....

Xmasgingerbread_blog2

Above: Kumar

Xmasgingerbread_blog3

Above: Man Bahadur

But they soon got the hang of it and as I passed it around, they all grabbed a handful!

Xmasgingerbread_blog4

Above: Manchu

Xmasgingerbread_blog5

Above: Bhim and Shyam

Xmasgingerbread_blog6

My lovely sample making team

From left to right: Man Bahadur, Kumar, Shanti and Manchu.

Xmasgingerbread_blog7

And the funniest thing was, when i left half the house on the side, and told all the guys in the main room of the factory to come and take what they wanted.....I left the room for 5 minutes, no less, and then it was ALL GONE!! Must have tasted good :)

Happy Christmas x

Posted via email from AURA QUE